Tuesday 30 December 2014

OPI Fifty Shades of Grey Collection Swatches and Review


Hey guys! Today I have something super exciting for you (well I thought it was super exciting), full swatches and a review of the Fifty Shades of Grey collection by OPI! This collection is hot off the shelves, released this month to promote the upcoming movie that is due for release on 14th February, 2015, so I just HAD to get my pretty little polished hands on it! I was mildly disappointed that this collection was not literally fifty shades of grey, but instead just three greys, a silver, a glitter and a red. The six part collection is available in a mini set, which I purchased from Farmers for $39.99; a steal compared to buying six full-sized bottles which would set you back about $120 here in New Zealand. So, take a look at my swatches and read on for my thoughts on each shade, and which are my faves!



Cement the Deal - First up, we have a pale grey creme, the lightest grey in this collection. It seemed a tad darker on the nail than in the bottle, and is shown here with three coats. The formula was a bit thin and a teensy bit streaky, and I think another coat might even be needed. This is the first grey polish I've ever worn and I was surprised that I liked it, though maybe it would be better suited for the autumn/winter rather than summer.


  
Embrace the Gray - This shade is just a tad darker than Cement the Deal, a very stormy kind of grey that leans a little blueish. The formula was similar to the previous grey; a little thin and streaky, and this is also three coats. I love the shine on this though, all the cremes in this collection were super reflective on their own without a top coat. I prefer this shade to the lighter one just because it seems like its better pigmented, and I will definitely be wearing this one over winter.   



Dark Side of the Mood - This grey is a much darker charcoal shade, that doesn't look quite as black in real life as it does in this shot. Like the name suggests, it is certainly a moody shade, perfect for autumn or winter or as an alternative to black if you didn't want to go too dark. Again, the formula was thin, and this is three coats, but just look at that shine!


  
My Silk Tie -This chrome silver looked rather familiar to me, and what do ya know, it's virtually identical to one of my favourite polishes of all time, Push and Shove, that I've included here for comparison. My Silk Tie is perhaps a touch lighter shade of silver and has a very subtle shimmer to it, but you wouldn't need both in your collection. This is three coats, and chrome polishes tend to show brush strokes so you have to be careful with your application. Disappointing, OPI... 


  
Shine For Me - Moving on from the disappointment of My Silk Tie, this glitter polish is quite stunning! Shine For Me is a silver and blue glitter than can be worn alone or over another colour. This is three coats, though I could have done with one more for full opacity. This polish dried a bit gritty, almost like the texture of OPI's Liquid Sand polishes, but is easily fixed with a top coat. Though very pretty on it's own, I'd like to try this over a darker polish to really bring out the glitter, perhaps over Dark Side of the Mood. 



Romantically Involved - What a gorgeous red! This is a very sexy, deep, blood red with an INCREDIBLE shine, just look at that reflection! I think this is my favourite of the collection, it's just such a vibrant, classic red that has a place in any polish collection. Having said that, this shade is nothing new. OPI has a ridiculous amount of reds, and only recently brought out FIVE reds in their 2014 Holiday collection a couple of months ago. While this red is surely not unique, it is still stunning, and I'd definitely consider buying a full-sized bottle of this.  

And that's the lot! What do you guys think? I'm disappointed that only half of these polishes are new shades, but when you have as many polishes as OPI, no doubt originality is difficult. My top picks are Shine For Me and Romantically Involved, but the greys will come in useful for nail art I'm sure! Let me know what your favourite is in the comments below, and I'll see you next time! 

Lisa xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment