Wednesday 10 June 2015

Fluffy Nails: Flocking Powder Tutorial


Say hello and welcome to my mid-week mani: fluffy nails! Now, you may be thinking "Lisa, it's Wednesday, why are you painting your nails?", and "Fluffy nails? that's just ridiculously impractical!" Well, ladies and gents, I am posting on a Wednesday because I had a bit of a nail fail last week and didn't end up posting anything so I am playing catch-up, but also I've finished uni classes for the semester and have so much more time to paint my nails! Secondly, these nails are not as impractical as you'd think! They stand up to water fairly well and dry off quickly so you can still wash your hands, but I wouldn't suggest scrubbing them or anything. I got this look by using flocking powder, which is basically this little pot of very fine fluffy fibres that comes in a full rainbow of colours and is available super cheaply from bornprettystore, so go check them out. And that's enough of my rambling for now, here's the tutorial!  

What I Used:

- OPI Ridger Filler Base Coat
- OPI Black Onyx
- Black flocking powder from bornprettystore
- Tweezers
- Fan brush
- Nail polish remover and cleanup brush

1. Apply a base coat to protect your natural nails from stains and provide a smooth base for polish.

2. Paint your nails two coats of a polish that is the same colour as your flocking powder. I suggest working one hand at a time, as you need the polish to stay wet. If you have any polish on your fingers, clean this up before you apply the powder as you only want it to stick to your nails and no where else!

3. Pour out a small pile of powder onto a piece of paper (this makes it easier to work with and easier to clean up!) This stuff gets EVERYWHERE, so make sure the area where you're working is properly covered with a sheet of paper. With the polish on your nail still wet, gently press your finger flat onto the pile of powder, and gently roll it side to side so your whole nail is covered.

4. Gently pat down the powder onto your nail so it bonds to the polish, then shake off the excess back onto the paper, or brush it off with a fan brush. If you see any spots the powder hasn't covered, use a pair of tweezers to drop a small bunch of powder over the bare patches, press it on, then brush off the excess again. 

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all your nails, making sure your polish is still wet enough for the powder to stick to. 

6. Any powder still on your fingers can be blown or brushed off easily. Wait at least half an hour for the power to settle before doing anything with your nails, and then you can wash your hands for any bits of powder that might still be clinging to your fingers. 

And you're done! This was actually one of my quicker designs, very simple even if it was a little messy! I've had these on for a couple of days now and some of the fluff is wearing away in small patches, but really it isn't that noticeable. I'd love to see this look in a brighter colour, or multiple colours mixed together, so if you try it out please share it with me. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time!

Lisa xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment