Saturday 11 October 2014

Striped Gradient Tutorial


Hey guys! I am in LOVE with my nails at the moment, they are just so bright and shiny and kinda trippy! This layered striped gradient can be achieved with any colour combination, but I chose blue because that's the colour I have the most shades in (fun fact for you there). The coolest thing about this design is that from a distance it looks like you have really shiny nails, but it's actually a kind of an illusion created by the different shades of stripes. Just to clarify, I did not come up with this design, but I've seen so many versions of it on instagram by a bunch of different people that I have no idea who came up with it originally, so big thumbs up to whoever that is! Read on for my tutorial :)



What I Used:

- OPI Nail Envy Base Coat
- OPI Keeping Suzi at Bay
- OPI No Room For The Blues
- Revlon Dreamer
- Essie Blanc
- OPI Top Coat 
- Striping Brush #3 from bornprettystore
- Acetone and Cleanup Brush

1. Apply a base coat to protect your natural nails from stains and provide a smooth base for polish.

2. Next apply two coats of your darkest shade and alllow to dry.

3. Once your first colour is dry, take your middle shade and carefully brush a thick line of polish down the centre of your nail, leaving a line of the darker colour on each sides. Wait for this to dry before the next step.

4. Take your lightest shade and paint a thinner line, roughly one brushstroke wide, down the centre of your nail, being sure to leave lines of the colour underneath visible along the sides. 

5. Once that's dry, take your white polish and a thin striping brush to paint a line of white down the centre of your nail to finish the look.

6. Allow your nails to dry before applying a top coat to seal in your design. Clean up any mess around your nails with polish remover/acetone and a cottonbud or brush.  

Ta da! Now you can go and flash your nails to randoms on the street and blow their minds with your mad nail art skills ;) Share your thoughts or suggestions with me in the comments below, and I'll see you next time!  

Lisa xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment