Wednesday 20 January 2016

Tropical Sunset Gradient Tutorial


Hello everyone! Sorry for my lack of posts recently, I'd like to say I've had other things to do but I really haven't, I've just been in that lazy holiday mood. Today I bring you this bright tropical sunset gradient that makes me wish I was on a tropical island myself! If you'd like to know how I did it, read my tutorial below :)

What I Used:

- OPI Ridge Filler Base Coat
- OPI Alpine Snow
- OPI Black Onyx
- OPI Hot n Spicy
- OPI Where Did Suzi's Mango
- OPI I Just Can't Copeacabana
- HK Girl Glisten and Glow Top Coat 
- Bliss Kiss Simply Peel liquid latex barrier from www.myblisskiss.com
- Makeup sponge
- Striping brush from bornprettystore 
- Nail polish remover and cleanup brush

1. Apply a base coat to protect your natural nails from stains and provide a smooth base for polish.

2. Reduce the mess you will make with your gradient by applying a peel-off barrier or some tape around your nails. I've just started using Simply Peel by Bliss Kiss, and Iv'e found it to be very helpful. 

3. Paint your nails with one coat of a white polish as a base for your gradient. This will help the polish stick better and make bright colours pop.

4. Once your base is dry, apply your chosen polishes to a make up sponge with a stripe of each colour, from light to dark. Overlap the colours slightly on the sponge to help blend them together.

5. While you still have wet polish on it, dab the sponge polish-side down onto your nail, with the lightest colour near the tip and the darkest colour at the cuticle end. Gently roll the sponge across the nail to get complete coverage.

6. Repeat step 5, re-applying polish to the sponge each time, until your gradient is smooth and completely opaque. Apply a fast-drying top coat to smooth out the texture left by the sponge and to help with blending. You can remove your tape or peel-off barrier at this point.

7. Once your nails are dry, you can begin the palm tree design on top. Using a thin nail art brush dipped in a black polish, start by adding a thick, uneven line right at the tip of your nail - this will be the 'island' for your trees to stand on. 

8. Next, create the trunks of your palm trees by adding a thin, slightly curved line extending from your island to roughly two thirds of the way up your nail. Depending on the length or width of your nails, you can choose to add one or two trees. 

9. Add four shorter lines in an 'X' shape extending from the tip of your tree trunk for the branches. Then add a bunch of little lines off each branch to create the leaves (it doesn't matter if these are a little messy)

10. Allow to dry before adding a top coat to smooth out your nail and protect your design. Clean up any remaining polish on your skin with polish remover and a cleanup brush or cottonbuds.

I love silouette designs because they are so eye-catching but so easy to paint! Even if you struggle with free-hand nail art, this design is a good place to start because it doesn't matter if your lines aren't perfect. Another option would be to stamp a black design on top of the gradient, making it even easier to do! Let me know in the comments below if you liked this tutorial, and I'll see you next time!

Lisa xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment