Monday 7 March 2016

Ombre Mer-mani Tutorial


Hey guys! I'm back with a nail design that I absolutely adore, and I know I've done mermaid designs in the past but I think this is my best one yet! I used mermaid scale nail vinyls from whatsupnails.com and the pattern came out perfectly, so I highly recommend their products. I'm also really pleased with the colour scheme of this mani because I used a few polishes I hadn't worn in a long time and fell in love with them all over again. If you'd like to see how to get this look for yourself, read my step-by-step tutorial below :)

What I Used:

- OPI Natural Nail Base Coat
- OPI Push and Shove
- OPI Cuckoo For This Colour
- OPI This Colour's Making Waves
- HK Girl Glisten and Glow Top Coat
- Mermaid scale nail vinyls from whatsupnails
- Studs, charms and rhinestones from bornprettystore
- Simply Peel Liquid Latex Barrier
- Makeup sponge
- Toothpick
- Nail polish remover and cleanup brush  

1. Apply a base coat to protect your natural nails from stains and provide a smooth base for polish.

2. Paint your nails one or two coats of a silver polish and allow to dry completely. Adding a fast-drying top coat over top of the silver will speed up this process.

3. Once your nails are completely dry, apply your nail vinyl/stencil to your nail, ensuring your whole nail is covered and that the vinyl is firmly stuck down, especially around the edges. I chose to apply some Simply Peel around my nail at this point to minimise the mess.

4. Paint one stripe of each of your two chosen colours to the flat side of a makeup sponge, slightly overlapping the two stripes to help blend them together. Once you've got enough polish on your sponge, apply it to your nail directly over the stencil, dabbing the sponge up and down. You will need to reapply the polish to the sponge and repeat this process two or three times to ensure maximum coverage. 

5. Once you are satisfied with your ombre and you have covered all the silver polish, carefully peel off the nail vinyl to reveal the pattern underneath. Clean up any excess polish on your skin with remover and a cleanup brush or cottonbuds.

6. Apply some topcoat to the area of your nail near the cuticle where you want to add any embellishments. Working quickly so the topcoat doesn't dry, wet a toothpick with some clear polish and use it to pick up your stud/charm/rhinestones one by one and press them onto your nail into the wet polish.

7. Once you are happy with the arrangement of your embellishments, apply a final layer of top coat over your nails to seal them in and add shine.

I will always love a good mer-mani, so let me know if you try one out for yourself! Get in touch on my Instagram or Facebook page, or leave a comment below this post. Thanks for reading, and I'll see ya next time!

Lisa xx   

No comments:

Post a Comment