Saturday 18 April 2015

Mermaid Scales Tutorial


Hey guys, I'm back with another scale mani, this time mermaid scales! I kind of cheated and used nail stencils from whatsupnails.com, but I have done a handpainted version before - you can see it here (I think this is a big improvement!). These stencils were so easy to work with and make nail art so much easier and quicker. Another benefit of using stencils is that my right hand looks just as good as my left hand, which NEVER happens with a handpainted design. So without further ado, here's my tutorial for how to get this look for yourself :)

What I Used:

- OPI Ridge Filler Base Coat
- OPI This Colour's Making Waves
- Revlon Catty
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
- Seashell charms from bornprettystore
- Scale stencils from whatsupnails
- Tweezers
- Makeup sponge
- Dotting tool
- Nail polish remover and cleanup brush

1. Apply a base coat to protect your natural nails from stains and provide a smooth base for polish. 

2. Next apply two coats of your base colour and allow to dry completely (this is the colour the scales will be, so pick one that will compliment your other colour but still stand out.)

3. When your base colour is completely dry, peel off the stencil from the sheet and place it over your nail, covering it entirely. Adjust it so it sits straight, then smooth it down firmly so polish can't seep underneath.  

4. Apply your second polish colour (a shimmer/metallic shade works best for this look) to a makeup sponge and dab it all over the nail, covering the stencil entirely and getting right into the edges. You may need to reapply polish to the sponge and do a second or third coat for full opacity. When working with stencils or nail vinyls, using a sponge creates a smoother, full-coverage finish compared to brushing polish over the top, so it's worth the extra mess.  

5. Using a pair of tweezers or your fingers, peel off the stencil quickly while the polish on top is still wet, and you will be left with a clean pattern underneath.

6. Apply a large spot of top coat with a dotting tool or toothpick to your nail close to the cuticle in the centre where you want to place your stud/charm. Using the same tool dipped in a little top coat to make it sticky, pick up your stud or charm and press it firmly down onto the nail. 

7. Apply a thick layer of top coat over your nails to seal in your studs/charms and protect your design. Clean up the mess around your nails from the sponging with a cottonbud or brush dipped in polish remover.

I am just in LOVE with this finished look, I think I'll keep this design on until it starts to chip. I actually broke a nail on this hand rather horrifically, clean off about halfway down my nail (ouch!) but I managed to repair it with a bit of nail glue and a DIY patch job, can you tell which one? I'd love to hear your feedback on these, so leave a comment below or on Facebook or Instagram. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time!

Lisa xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment